We intend to explore America's energy situation as we ski the crest of the Brooks Range, from the Canadian Border to the Alaskan Pipeline and Pruedoe Bay oilfield.
Our planned route is 300 miles of rugged ridgeline that separates tundra and the arctic from the more friendly Boreal forests. Our trip is expected to require 40 days of cold winds off the Arctic sea ice, unskiied terrain and whiteouts. Along the way, we will send out dispatches from the trip.
Our mission is to look at the need for further developing the North Slope of Alaska, from the environmental, economic and sovereignty (both national and state) perspectives.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Houston, we're missing a cable

I am so disappointed. I have left two cables at home. One to connect the Amazon Kindle to charge/ computer and a data cable for the sat phone.
It looks like I have to fall back to the stone age and send postcards to all three of you.

Even at 5/8 charge on the Kindle, I know there are plenty of electricities in there to get through a week of reading and maybe even writing. I have written two dispatches on the Kindle, but have not figured out how to get it out of there, from here.

I will write with pencil and paper, then let fly when we get back to civilisation.

I don't know if this internet connection could even get a photo through it. It took 25 minutes to fire up!???

We go into the Ruwenzori National Park in the morning. We will have 8 porters, for three people: Anthony, the guide and myself.

The weather is hazy, but not raining yet. No chance to prove the excellentness of the Marmot Exum Jacket and Precip full zip pants, yet. I am expecting to prove the modern age to the locals who insist a raincoat must have a poncho over it all.

Actually, those who are the climbers locally, all know nice gear when they see it. Herbert, who will be climbing with us, was playing with the three Metolious  Power Cams, the Keen boots and the Black Diamond ice axe.... I could read the thought bubble coming out of the top of his head, ...."I sure hope you forget this stuff behind..." 

The gear has held up well to its 30 hours or so in a duffel bag. The only fatality was a bottle of suncreme blew its top. I carry multiples  and small ones any more. Andy wrap them in plastic.

Uganda, contrary to what you may see on the internet, is a beautiful place. The people a sweet, kind and gentle. Things seem to run plenty smooth enough and its as hot as I would expect on the equator. I wouldn't want to be disappointed.
I suspect the Ruwenzori will very quickly bound into a hot trip to do.

And the system and people are honest. I was asked by a hurried airport worker if the Amazon Kindle found in the seatback pocket was mine. "Yes, (my heart stopped) thank you." There is a perfectly good excuse for my distraction from checking the seatback pocket, I assure you
"I will need your boarding card and passport." I started to walk with him to the CSI Airplane Seatback Pocket Unit, but he said "Wait here."
As he blazed away with a mission in his step, my heart sunk as I realized I had just given my passport and Kindle to the guy nearly running out of the airport arrival lounge. I was standing there wondering how I was going to explain this event to Anthony and International Mountain Guides.... I suspected this could provide the grand he has wanted to see Paris.
I waited for -only- several l-o-n-g minutes. The same guy half-jogged back in with a bunch of papers. I had two affidavits to sign and I had my passport, Kindle and boarding pass back....

The moral of the story? "Please be sure to gather all you belongings before you depart the aircraft."
I was probably reading (on my Kindle) when they said that,.....

No comments:

Post a Comment